September 30, 2017

No Safe Space

No longer popular, if I ever was. I write words that require you to think about other people and their lives. Justice requires us to think and use judgment.

Do not fall into the narrowly defined political parties. Frankly both parties have been coopted by extreme liberal or conservative views, who think of each other as evil. Most people I have met throughout the world are good and human. Give people the benefit of the doubt.

Do not subscribe to identity politics. American son of enough cultures to start WW1 by myself. My wife is from Asia and brings her viewpoints to the USA has a citizen. Have yet to meet a country that was right all the time. All started wars at some time.

Not locked into my religious identity. Spent a lot of time in other churches, synagogues and temples. God says love everyone, not just those like us. I try.

History has not made today any different than our past. People have always disagreed by demonizing their opponents. Look up ‘Yellow Journalism’ and political campaigning stories around the founding of the United States. Nasty descriptions of the other side.

FB has identified our political leanings and isolates us from different of offensive views. We tend to friend those who agree with us. Have friends with different views.

Free speech is not I get to tell you my opinions and you shut up. It is listening to each other, respectfully. It is hearing opinions or “hate speech” without being easily offended. And being kind to the people who said them.

Especially be kind. Required for free people everywhere.


No comments:

Moral Collapse. Don’t We Recognize Evil?

Israel was attacked by Hamas terrorists. ~1,400 deaths, ~3,500 wounded and ~200 taken as hostages. Thousands of rockets were sent as armed a...