November 28, 2016

Turning 60


As a teenager decided to live to 100, and when that seemed too common - raised it quickly to 120. So am I now middle aged? Mom’s statement comes to mind, “It is not the Age, it’s the Mileage.”

The writer in me wants to reflect and deliver something profound. Not coming to me despite a long weekend. However here are my best decisions.

1. Live within My Means
Income has not stayed consistent in my manufacturing / entrepreneurial career.  Chose an affordable house instead of stretching. Have an emergency fund, and can pay off mortgage in 12 years versus 30. Low debt and savings make life easier.

2. Contribute to 401K
Took the match when I started, and raised my donation rate 2% with each raise.  After 6 years have 4 times the average retirement savings of my age group.

3. Keep Learning
Since graduating college have studied computers, CAD, project management, writing, and real estate. Read experts on other topics to keep my mind sharp. Talking with teenagers to seniors keep me engaged.

4. Time for Fun and Enjoyment
Love weekly volleyball games, going to small groups, reading, running or hiking. Watching good basketball & football games, and parties are welcome.

Don’t believe that you can have it all. Don’t believe wealth or skill comes without effort. Don’t believe “This Time is Different.” Don’t believe there is a balance to life. Life is always unexpected challenges. Adapt and change is required. Good attitudes and faith will get you through change.

BTW also have an Aging System you can use -- Denial J


No comments:

Moral Collapse. Don’t We Recognize Evil?

Israel was attacked by Hamas terrorists. ~1,400 deaths, ~3,500 wounded and ~200 taken as hostages. Thousands of rockets were sent as armed a...